Saturday, January 3, 2015

Hello to the New Year


Let me transport you into 2015 in a pleasant and refined way. This two minute video was selected at random from the many available on You Tube.  It is a slow-foxtrot segment of the 2010 professional ballroom championship held in Blackpool. England. While professional dancing is very precise and every movement is judged for perfection, you can imagine how the young people in Great Britain during WWII found it to be a relaxation from the stress of the times. We all danced, and it was a natural way for boys and girls to meet and get to know each other in the company of others.


By general observation I have become aware that dancing today is about crowded venues, lot's of noise, and a style that demands staying several feet away from your partner and a lot of drug and booze fueled gyrating and vacuous (or is that maniacal?) facial expressions. Ballroom dancing for amateurs (ordinary young people) was about music, rhythm, male and female relationship, romance...and yes, holding a girl in your arms and enjoying her company. Rapturous and respectful!

Incidentally, I looked at a couple of examples on You Tube of contemporary activities called Raves. I'm hesitant to even mention it to you. 

PS: This is the first time I have inserted a video (I'm learning) and when I viewed the blog as you would I played this clip (full screen) and when it ended it showed a screen of perhaps a dozen more clips one can also view. I clicked on one of them and it was the 2014 UK Professional Ballroom Final slow-foxtrot (2.13 minutes). I mention it only because each year the dress styles are different. You might want to check out those dresses. 

No comments: